Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Meet My Character

I was tagged by the fabulous Melody Marshall to participate in the Writerly Meme (Meet My Character) blog tour! I'm going on a whim here as to what we're supposed to include, but it seems to be on the right track. So without further ado...


1) What is the name of your character? Is she a fictional person or a historic person? 

Her name is Eleri Marqtoven, and she is definitely fictional (though she'd beat you with a shoe if you said that to her).

(And, just as a side, her name is pronounced El-LAIR-ee, so the emphasis is in the middle.)

2) When and where is the story set?

It's set in a fantasy world, taking place primarily in the country of Gricia, on its northern coast. It's an epic fantasy, so there's really no time frame in comparison to our day and age, but it's set nine decades after an exile.


3) What should we know about your character? 

She's the youngest of ten children, in a family of hellhound breeders. She knows she's fabulous (thanks, Megara ;)) and she takes no one's shit. I remember tweeting a few times about what a bitch she was, so I guess she's that, too. But she definitely has a soft side. 

4) What is the main conflict? What messes up her life?

I wouldn't say it messes up her life, per se. But the demon queen comes to her valley and bam, everything changes. She begins to train with an assassin and discovers things about herself that really change who she is as a person. But the overall conflict driving the changes is that the demons were exiled and they want their country back...and they're months from doing so. 

5) What is the personal goal of the character? 

She wants to prove to herself, to her father, to her family, that she is much more than a silly girl in a pretty dress, and she knows no bounds to achieve this goal. 

6) Is there a working title for this novel, and can we read more about it? 

There are actually two working titles, but neither of them I'm thrilled to pieces with. The first is WAYWARD, WICKED SOULS and the second is A DARKER KIND OF FIRE. They both encapsulate the story, but I'm waiting till my critique partners read it and see if they have any suggestions. 

There's nowhere you can READ more about it (unless you're following my Twitter, because I sometimes share lines), but you can check out the Pinterest board for it. I update that quite often. =)

7) When can we expect the book to be published? 

Someday, somehow... Haha! Right now, I'm just working on finishing it and getting an agent. We'll see what happens after that. 


And now I tag the marvelous EM Castellan, who's a wonderful friend and invaluable cheerleader. She writes YA fantasy and lives in an English castle. 

Happy writing!

Katie

2 comments:

  1. UGH it is killing me to wait to meet her! :) She sounds awesome. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eee! I can't wait for you to meet her either, Anne! =D

      Delete