Sunday, November 16, 2014

When the Muse Calls But You Can't Answer

I actually wasn't going to write a post about this, because I feel like I'm complaining enough on Twitter and to my CPs (bless their souls for putting up with my texts containing "merrrr"s and emoticons).

But I know I'm not the only one to feel this feel, and this isn't the first time it's happened to me. No, far from it. In fact, it happened to me for over six months. I would write up summaries, plot out books, come up with characters, and fall flat. I couldn't keep writing. I'd write the first chapter and then I'd ask my self what the f*ck I'm writing and I'd stop. It happened over and over and over again.

I don't know how some authors can just slam out one book after another. When I write, I'm so torn up inside by my characters that I feel them long after I've finished writing them. It's a little hard for me to start up a new story with new characters shortly after finishing a WIP. I'm trying to break this habit, because I do want to keep writing with the time I have, since come spring I'll be back in uni.

But I just can't break the habit of starting new stories and being unable to follow through until the draft is complete. Maybe what I need to do is what I was saying to one of my CPs this morning: Just keep barfing up ideas until one of them clicks and sticks. I know I want my next WIP to be a standalone. I know I want it to be an epic fantasy. I'm just waiting for the right characters and world and plot to rear their beautiful heads.

Anyone else suffer from this? How do you combat it?

And now, I leave you with a very random but hilarious gif, simply because I want to make your day better:


No comments:

Post a Comment