Monday, December 15, 2014

Monday Music 63 & Some Thoughts on Support

Hi everyone!

Support. It's a topic near and dear to me--and I know it's near and dear to all the writers I know, and most likely all those I don't.

Being a writer is lonely. You spend hours holed up in your office/bedroom/living room/what-have-you, pouring your heart and soul into characters to give them life on the page. You play with your emotions to give your characters emotions. You live and breathe their lives, their stories. You swoon with them, you cry with them, you laugh with them.

But through it all, most of the time, you're writing alone. That's why support is so insanely important. Even if it's just one person you can turn to, hold onto that person with all you have because you will need them when the time comes. And I don't mean a spouse, a sibling, a child, a parent, etc. Those people can do wonders, but they don't understand the hardships of being a writer. They don't know how hard it can be to pull yourself away from your pages, or to forego all aspects of a social life in favor of writing.

What I mean are other writers, in any stages of the process--newbies, querying, agented, on sub, published...The list goes on. It's so important to have people to turn to when your well is running dry, when you're feeling stressed about the publishing world, or when you've written yourself into a corner you can't seem to get out of. Get involved on Twitter (I've met fabulous friends through there!), AbsoluteWrite, WriteOnCon (when it's in session), NaNoWriMo, How About We CP (I met my CP Anne through this!), blogs (many authors/writers have contact forms on their blogs/websites!), contests like PitchWars, or other avenues I may have overlooked.

I guarantee you will not regret growing your social circle of writers. And if you can't find any, come to me! I'm happy to help you look (though I'm afraid I can't take on any more critique partners, sorry!).

And now, without further ado, here is your Monday Music selection! This week's is called Flares by The Script (one of my favorite bands). Hope you enjoy!


Happy Monday!

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment