Sunday, September 6, 2015

#PitchWars Homework

Hi everyone!

Contrary to what my title is, this homework is fun--I promise. When I was a PitchWars mentee in 2013, my mentor gave me this assignment, and it is one of the best lessons I've ever had for writing. It forever changed the way I plot my books and my character arcs.

I've given this assignment to my own mentee, but I thought I would share it with you, too, especially since my feedback to those who subbed to me will be weeks in coming.

There are three parts to this assignment. The first part is to watch a series of videos (found here) about the Seven Point Plot Structure. They're by Dan Wells, an author published with Balzer + Bray, an imprint of HarperCollins. Watch all five of the videos (all found on the link I provided) and take notes, do some further research, have some fun learning about this method of plotting. It's well worth it.

The second part is to do further research on character arcs. I provided my mentee with three links, pasted below:
http://www.helpingwritersbecomeauthors.com/character-arcs-1/ (this website is a well of information, so feel free to click around!) 
http://www.veronicasicoe.com/blog/2013/04/the-3-types-of-character-arc-change-growth-and-fall/ (in this, as you read, try to figure out which type of arc fits with your main characters)
http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/blog/2010/12/28/putting-a-character-arc-in-your-novel/ (in this one, pay special attention to the five parts of the character arc mentioned)

The final part of the homework assignment, after watching the five videos and reading the links I provided, is to write up the character arcs AND plot of your main characters AND manuscript in the Seven Point Plot Structure format. After you've written it up, share it with critique partners, if you want! See if they can give you any feedback. Maybe you'll learn something new about writing, or figure out a plot knot that you were having an issue with before. Lord knows I certainly did. :) 

If you have any questions, please feel free to comment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment