Monday, November 16, 2015

#PitchWars Feedback

Hi everyone,

This is my apology for how late my feedback for Pitch Wars is. And because I pride myself on always being honest, I'll explain why my feedback was so late in coming...and why it will continue to be late.

I am a full time college student with an internship at the museum that is associated with my university. What little time I have left over from the internship I spend in class, and what little time I have left over after class is spent doing homework. It is also nearing the end of the semester, so I have a lot of extra papers, projects, and exams to work on and study for.

After school comes my own personal writing. I am an agented writer hoping to get published, and as such I have to keep writing books. My agent expects manuscripts, as do I, and as having a career as an author is something I am actively striving for, my books take priority. Thus, I will be writing books and editing them and everything else that entails.

Then comes my family, my CPs, and my friends. My CPs take priority over giving Pitch Wars feedback, as my CPs and I have working relationships (albeit very friendly ones, and I'd consider them some of my closest friends, but we still have work expectations from each other and that takes precedence). My family is very important to me, and thus they take up a large portion of my time. With the holidays coming up, my life is going to be even more hectic than it already is. (And as an aside, we had a recent death in the family and that took up a lot of my time as well.)

At the end of the day, I don't have a lot of extra time on my hands, and as such I didn't get to my Pitch Wars feedback as quickly as I had hoped. I know I promised feedback to a lot of people, but I am only one person with a hundred things to do on a daily basis, and I had to make the tough decision of what was to take priority. During the Pitch Wars months, my mentee came first.

All of this is to say, I apologize deeply for how slow my feedback has been in coming. I am not giving feedback to all 182 submissions I received, as--again--I am only one person and sometimes, I just don't know what feedback I can give other than "It just wasn't for me." I know that's a horrible rejection. Believe me, I saw that plenty of times when I queried. (I've been where you are! I understand how dejecting it is!) But sometimes that's the case. It doesn't have that spark you're looking for. There doesn't have to be anything wrong with your prose, your plot, your characters, your setting. It just didn't work with me.

So, if you've read this far, let me tell you I WILL get feedback out before 2015 ends. I promise (Though I don't promise it will come to all of you. Some asked, some I requested from, and those are who take priority.) I won't be getting to feedback writing and sending until December, though, due to everything above, and because December is when I will have free time with the semester ending and my manuscript out with CPs.

Again, I apologize immensely, and I know "sorry" only goes so far. Do know I see you on Twitter if I'm following you, and I am constantly rooting for you, because I want each and every one of you to succeed. Also know you can always reach out to me. My inbox is always open, as is my Twitter. I don't want any of you to give up, and if I can somehow help, please reach out to me.

All the hugs and luck,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment